Saturday, September 22, 2012

Taco Soup

From: Sue, adapted
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 15 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
  • 15 ounces canned kidney beans
  • 15 ounces canned corn
  • 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix
  • fritos corn chips or tortilla chips (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
  • shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
  • cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Grease slow cooker with cooking spray.
  2. Brown beef together with onion in skillet over medium-high heat, drain if needed, then pour into slow cooker.
  3. To the slow cooker, add tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce and taco seasoning and mix well.
  4. Cover and cook on low 3 hours (or in a pot, simmering over medium-low heat for 30 minutes).
  5. Top with cheese and sour cream and serve with corn chips or tortilla chips if desired.
My Notes:
  • When I am doubling the recipe, I leave the hamburger at 1 lb and the corn at 1 can, but I change the 8 oz can tomato sauce for a 15 oz can, and I add a can of black beans (instead of 2 cans of kidney beans).